- Save time by using a stand mixer to combine ingredients (unless you want to build up your arm muscles mixing by hand!).
- Professional baker’s secret: Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper OR spray with oil and sprinkle with flour. This helps your cookies not stick to the pan and results in the best cookie texture.
- Make sure your unbaked cookies are all the same size. This ensures even baking.
- Space unbaked cookies to allow room for spreading. The recipe instructions will usually indicate how much space you need to leave for that particular kind of cookie. Some cookies spread more than others.
Muffins & Quick Breads
- Don’t overmix! Stir the batter just until blended. Lumps are ok.
- Fold in extra ingredients like dried fruit, nuts, and chocolate chips last.
- Check for doneness a few minutes before the baking time ends. Insert a toothpick (or uncooked spaghetti noodle for quick breads) to see if any uncooked batter sticks to it. If not, you’re done!