My son got a Lettersaurus from his grandparents for Christmas. It’s another one of those wonderful toys that can be equal parts educational and annoying. I’d have to say it’s mostly the former though. It has 3 modes to teach kids their letters, colours, and well-known children’s songs, and it plays the alphabet song when you push the top of the dinosaur’s head. Overall, we love this toy!
The only thing that drives me crazy is… the letter E! I cannot for the life of me identify the tune that plays when you push that letter E button in music mode. I scoured the Internet for a list of songs for this toy, but to no avail. I was hoping it might be in the instruction manual, but it’s not. Surely I’m not the only parent who would find this helpful…? Perhaps I need to brush up on my childhood musicology!
For the rest of you sleep-deprived souls being haunted by the vaguely familiar but nameless tunes emanating from your child’s purple plastic plaything, here’s help! I was able to name 25 of the 26 melodies as follows – and if anyone knows the name of the song that goes along with that elusive letter E, please do share! (Note: This is for the Canadian Lettersaurus toy, made by LeapFrog, which pronounces Z as “zed.” I don’t know if there are other versions produced elsewhere that may be slightly different!)
UPDATE 08-28-2013: Mystery solved! I’m told that the “E” song is Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes. Personally, I don’t sing it that way, but apparently there is an alternate tune for this old familiar song. Who knew! Glad that’s settled. I can sleep in peace now.
- A: The Itsy Bitsy Spider
- B: I’ve Been Working on the Railroad
- C: Camptown Races
- D: She’ll Be Coming ‘Round the Mountain
- E: Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes
- F: Baa, Baa, Black Sheep
- G: Alouette
- H: This Old Man
- I: Old MacDonald Had a Farm
- J: The Wheels on the Bus
- K: Hickory Dickory Dock
- L: John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt
- M: Mary Had a Little Lamb
- N: Three Blind Mice
- O: There’s a Hole in My Bucket
- P: Over the River & Through the Woods
- Q: Are You Sleeping / Frère Jacques
- R: The Teddy Bears’ Picnic
- S: Did You Ever See a Lassie?
- T: B-I-N-G-O
- U: The Muffin Man
- V: Here We Go ‘Round the Mulberry Bush
- W: Row, Row, Row Your Boat
- X: London Bridge Is Falling Down
- Y: If You’re Happy and You Know It
- Z: The Farmer in the Dell